Diploma in Theology
1 year full-time or
Gain critical knowledge in key theological disciplines. Taught by world-class theologians, dive into the foundations of Biblical studies and Christian thought and history, while also having the opportunity study your personal fields of interest, including mission and ministry, pastoral care, leadership and more.
What you will learn
- Foundational skills for a critical study of Christian texts.
- Skills to articulate foundational theological and scriptural knowledge and reflection.
- Clear analytical skills allowing them to analyse and communicate sound theological arguments.
- How to apply your skills and knowledge to your own and other contexts and traditions.
- How to apply your skills and knowledge to the service of others through practical engagement and in contexts.
The Diploma in Theology consists of 8 units (144 points):
- Two (2) units in Field B: Biblical Studies (48 points)
- Two (2) units in Field C: Christian Thought and History (48 points)
- Four (4) units in any Field (96 points)
Most standard units are delivered over one semester (15 weeks), with teaching methods including lectures, seminars and tutorials.
Entry Requirements and Admission
Successful completion of VCE or equivalent. Probationary admission is available to approved persons aged 21 or greater who have not completed Year 12.
Prospective students apply by direct entry to a College of the University. The Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) is not used in selection at the University of Divinity.
It may be possible for students to receive credit into their course for prior post-secondary study in theology or ministry.
Please read the entry requirements and follow the admission process for international students here.
Upon successful completion, graduates may proceed to:
- an Advanced Diploma in Theology and Ministry
- an Advanced Diploma in Philosophy
- the Bachelor of Ministry
- Bachelor of Theology
The Diploma in Theology is accredited by the University of Divinity, which is constituted by the University of Divinity Act 1910 of the Parliament of Victoria. View the Diploma in Theology regulations here.