Theological and Practical Perspectives on Christian Leadership
In this unit, students will enhance their professional and vocational development by examining theological and practical perspectives on Christian leadership, appraising their own leadership development, and analysing contemporary themes and practices in Christian leadership. Students will focus on issues such as these, at postgraduate level:
- Biblical and theological issues in Christian leadership.
- Analysing personal leadership development patterns and developing as a Christian leader.
- Leading and managing churches and organisations.
- Learning about leadership and ministry from global voices.
- Current issues in Christian leadership, such as systems theories, emotional and cultural intelligence, leadership styles and approaches, building teams, women in leadership, organisational structures, missional leadership, conflict transformation, leading change, and spiritual leadership.
2 units (36 points) in foundational (level 1) units
2 units (48 points) in foundational (level 8) units
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Outline biblical and theological principles for Christian leadership.
- Describe diverse practical and theological approaches to Christian leadership and management.
- Appraise current issues in Christian leadership and management, while integrating perspectives from their other theological studies.
- (level 3 & Postgraduate) Evaluate their own strengths and growth areas as leaders, and construct strategies for developing leadership competencies, character, and understanding.
- (Postgraduate) Examine and integrate cross-cultural (Western and Developing World) perspectives on ministry and leadership.
Case Studies (levels 2/3: 2 x 500 words) 25%
Minor Essay (levels 2/3: 1500 words) 25%
Major Essay (level 2: 2500 words, level 3: 3000 words) 50%
Case Studies (2 x 500 words) 20%
Minor Essay (1500 words) 20%
Theological rationale for Christian leadership (1000 words) 15%
Major Essay (3500 words) 45%
Andrew Menzies and Dean Phelan. Kingdom Communities: Shining the Light of Christ Through Faith, Hope, and Love. Eugene, OR; Wipf and Stock, 2019.
David Starling. UnCorinthian Leadership: Thematic Reflections on 1 Corinthians. Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2014.
Grace Ji-Sun Kim and Graham Hill. Healing Our Broken Humanity: Practices for Revitalizing the Church and Renewing the World. Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2018.
Graham Hill. Holding Up Half the Sky: A Biblical Case for Women Leading and Teaching in the Church. Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2019.
Lee G. Bolman and Terrence E. Deal. Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership (6th Edition). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2017.
Mark Branson and Juan F. Martinez. Churches, Cultures and Leadership: A Practical Theology of Congregations and Ethnicities. Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2011.
Ruth Haley Barton. Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry. Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2018.
Tod Bolsinger. Canoeing the Mountains: Christian Leadership in Uncharted Territory. Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2018.