The Art of Reconciliation (Online)
This unit explores the possibilities and challenges of growing into agents of reconciliation in Australia today. It will examine:
- Theological foundations for a ministry of presence and reconciliation today;
- Key causes and effects of relational breakdown and dysfunction in Australia, including between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians;
- Gifts and challenges of engaging in forgiveness and reconciliation with First Nation Australians, and in wider personal and social relationships;
- The art of fostering justice, truth, mercy and peace in the church and society;
- Personal and communal resources for sustaining a ministry of presence and reconciliation across diverse contexts in Australia.
Undergraduate: 2 units (36 points) in Field D, 1 unit (18 points) in Field B & 1 unit (18 points) in Field C
Postgraduate: AIFC’s Graduate Diploma in Counselling and Integrated Psychotherapy (Spiritual)
OR 1 unit (24 points) in Field D, 1 unit (24 points) in Field B & 1 unit (24 points) in Field C
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Articulate theological foundations for a ministry of reconciliation and presence with First Nation Australians and in other personal and social relationships;
- Articulate critical causes and effects of relational breakdown in personal and social contexts;
- Communicate the gifts and challenges involved in the ministry of reconciliation with First Nation Australians and in other personal and social relationships;
- Demonstrate practices that foster and sustain a ministry of reconciliation and presence across Australia;
- Apply research to communicate the possibilities and challenges of promoting forgiveness and reconciliation for a specific context in Australia.
Seminar Paper (2000 words) 50%
Essay (3000 words) 50%
Research Project (3500 words) 50%
Essay (3500 words) 50%
Armstrong, K. Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2010.
Benner, D.G. Presence and Encounter. Grand Rapids: Brazos Press, 2014.
Cherry, S. Healing Agony. London: Continuum Intl Pub Group, 2012.
Grant, S. Talking to My Country. Sydney: Harper Collins, 2016.
Grattan, M. (editor). Reconciliation: Essays on Reconciliation. Melbourne: Black Inc., 2000.
Greenspan, M. Healing through the Dark Emotions. Boston: Shambhala Publications, 2003.
Mollica, R.F. Healing Invisible Wounds. Nashville: Vanderbilt Uni Press, 2006.
Newell, J.P. The Rebirthing of God. Woodstock, VT: SkyLight Paths Publ., 2014.
Palmer, P.J. Healing the Heart of Democracy. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2011.
Perkins, R. and M. Langton, eds. First Australians. Carlton: The Miegunyah Press, 2010.
Reynolds, H. Why Weren’t We Told? Ringwood, Vic.: Viking, 1999.
Schreiter, R.J. The Ministry of Reconciliation. Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis Books, 1998.
Walters, K. Practicing Presence. Franklin, WI: Sheed & Ward, 2001.