Human Development (Online)
This unit discusses the development of the human using various theories and considering physical, cognitive, sociocultural and spiritual development. It considers the impact that crises, environment, spirituality and family can have on normative development in light of a Christian worldview.
Lecturer: Postgraduate: Level 9 elective Discipline: DP Theology: Mission and Ministry Prerequisites:
Offered: Online: Refer to Timetable
2 units (36 points) in Field D or AIFC’s Graduate Diploma in Counselling and Integrated Psychotherapy (Spiritual)
Postgraduate: Level 9 elective
Discipline: DP Theology: Mission and Ministry
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Articulate and differentiate theories of development, transitions and stages of human development* across the life span including current understandings about neurobiological behaviour.
- Articulate and evaluate theories and etiology of trauma-causing events and addiction, including strategies for prevention, intervention and treatment.
- Articulate and evaluate theories and models of individual, cultural, couple, family and community resilience and wellness over the lifespan.
- Explain human behaviour, including an understanding of developmental crises, disability, psychopathology and situational and environmental factors that affect both normal and abnormal behaviour.
- Develop a theological and spiritual rationale that integrates evidence-based research and developmental theory with clinical practice.
* NOTE: This is a PACFA requirement
Discussion forum topic 1 (4 x 500 words each) 40%
Essay 1 (1250 words) 15%
Essay 2 (1250 words) 15%
Developmental analysis paper (3,000 words) 40%
Beckett, C. & Taylor, H. (2016) Human Growth and Development (3rd ed), SAGE Publications.
Brighton, K. (2007) Coming of Age: The Education and Development of Young Adolescents, National Middle School Association.
* Broderick, P.C. and Blewitt, P. (2014) The Life Span: Human Development for Helping Professionals (4th ed), Pearson.
Feldman, R.S. (2016) Development Across the Lifespan, Pearson.
Roehlkepartain, E.C. & King, P.E. (2005) The Handbook of Spiritual Development in Childhood and Adolescence, SAGE Publications.
Yust, M.Y. (2004) Real Kids, Real Faith: Practices for Nurturing Children’s Spiritual Lives, Josey –Bass.