Following Christ in Australia Today
This unit explores the Australian context of the twenty-first century in order to discern where God’s Spirit is active and how followers of Christ can be positively involved with this Spirit for growing the reign of God.
1 x Level 1 unit in Field B (Biblical Studies)
1 x Level 1 unit in Field C (Christian Thought and History)
1 x Level 8 unit in Field B (Biblical Studies)
1 x Level 8 unit in Field C (Christian Thought and History)
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Articulate a critical theological understanding of the Australian context in the twenty-first century;
- Outline principles for the discernment of the Holy Spirit’s activity in human and a faith community’s experience;
- Analyse their lived experience in the light of select passages in the Gospel narratives;
- Identify challenges and resources for ministry in Australia in the twenty-first century;
- (third level) Identity an opportunity for ministry and the likely challenges in one particular contemporary context.
- (postgraduate) Research the opportunities and issues for ministry in one particular contemporary context.
Undergraduate (Level 2)
1 x 2000 word seminar paper 40 %
1 x 3000 word essay 60 %
Undergraduate (Level 3)
1 x 2500 word seminar paper 40 %
1 x 3000 word essay 60 %
Postgraduate (Level 9)
1 x 3000 word seminar paper 50%
1 x 3000 word essay 50%
Benner, David G. Presence and Encounter: The Sacramental Possibilities of Everyday Life. Grand Rapids MI: Brazos Press, 2014.
Habel, Norman. Reconciliation: Searching for Australia’s Soul. Sydney: Harper Collins, 1999.
Mackay, Hugh Beyond Belief. Sydney: Pan Macmillan, 2016.
Malone, Peter (ed) Developing an Australian Theology. Sydney: St Paul’s, 1999.
Mason, Michael & Singleton, Andrew & Webber, Ruth. The Spirit of Generation Y: Young People’s Spirituality in a Changing Australia. Mulgrave, VIC: John Garratt Publishing, 2007.
Meyer, Robin. The Underground Church: Reclaiming the subversive way of Jesus. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2012.
Sparks, Paul, Tim Soerens and Dwight Friesen. The New Parish. Downer’s Grove IL: IVP, 2014.
Stockton, Eugene The Aboriginal Gift: Spirituality for a Nation. Alexandria: Millennium, 1995.
Struckmeyer, K. A Conspiracy of Love: Following Jesus in a Postmodern World. Eugene OR: Wipf & Stock, 2016.
Tacey, David J. Re-Enchantment: The New Australian Spirituality. Pymble, N.S.W.: HarperCollins, 2000.