Overseas Students

Studying in Victoria:

Melbourne is the capital city of Victoria, with a population of approximately 4 million people. It is consistently voted amongst the world’s most livable cities for its safe, secure environment and well-developed infrastructure. Stirling College is located in Mulgrave, in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Melbourne has an extensive public transport system, and is considered the academic and sporting capital of Australia. The academic year is broken into Semester 1 (March to June) and Semester 2 (July to November), with a long break over summer. Go to the visit Melbourne website for more information.

International students living in Victoria have access to the Culture Card Victoria program. This program is designed to give you the opportunity to attend activities such as sporting events, arts performances and community experiences during your study years. The International Student Care Service (ISCS) is available to any international student in Victoria experiencing difficulty with their studies. It provides friendly and professional advice, information, support and referral to local services and community resources.

College Accreditation:

 Stirling College’s awards are authorised by the University of Divinity (CRICOS code 01037A).

The University represents a significant achievement in Australia’s ecumenical co-operation in the teaching of theology. It has set the standard for theological education in Australia since its formation in 1910. The University is a theologically diverse institution committed to ecumenical co-operation in theological education. Click here to go to the information page for international students on the University of Divinity’s web site.

About Study in Australia and cost of living (see below for tuition and health insurance fees):

International students studying in Australia are protected by the Australian Federal Government’s Education for Overseas Students (ESOS) framework. Click here to see a summary of the rights protected by this legislation.

Click here for a link to Study in Australia web site, which provides vital information for overseas students.

This page from the Study in Australia web site has information about the fees and costs associated with living and studying in Melbourne.

More information about living and studying in Melbourne can be found here.

Support for Overseas Students:

Stirling College and the University of Divinity offer a range of services to support and help students to succeed in their studies, including:

  • A compulsory orientation program for all new overseas students.
  • Library orientation.
  • English language skills assistance.
  • Academic skills assistance.
  • Course advice and course planning.
  • Pastoral care.
  • Reference to other services and emergency contacts.

Overseas student contact: John Williamson

English Language Entry Requirements:

Applicants are required to provide the results of an English language test unless they can provide evidence of five years of previous study with English as the medium of instruction and assessment, concluding in the two years preceding your application.

For undergraduate and postgraduate coursework study the requirement is an average score across all bands of 6.5, with no band under 6.0 of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Applicants for higher degrees by research (e.g. PhD) must score 7.0 across all bands, with no band under 6.5

For undergraduate and coursework study the TOEFL equivalent is at least 580 (TWE above 4.5).

Click here to see more details about the English language requirements policy.

Research Degrees:

If you intend enrolling in a research degree you will also need to have a reading knowledge of the languages required for the primary sources, and essential secondary sources for your chosen research topic. For example, for primary sources you would need Koine Greek, Biblical Hebrew or ecclesiastical Latin. For secondary sources, you would need German, Spanish, Korean, Italian, Chinese or French

If you are applying to enter a research Masters degree (MTheol, MA [Research mode], MMin) or doctorate, you should have passed the research qualifying requirements before applying to study in Australia (see the research degrees page). This includes gaining a Distinction grade in a 12,000-word research essay at postgraduate standard. In addition, Stirling College expects that a member of faculty will have indicated his or her intention to act as your interim supervisor.

Overseas Student Applications:

Applying for and obtaining a student visa can take considerable time, and may vary in different countries. Prospective students should contact Stirling College as early as possible to make initial enquiries.

Step One: Application

As an international student you must complete the appropriate application form, and submit it with the following documents direct to Stirling.

  • Evidence of your level of English Language proficiency, or that you have been offered a place with an English language provider in Australia.
  • Transcripts of all completed tertiary courses.
  • Your full name as listed in your passport.
  • Your date of birth.
  • Your citizenship and country of birth.
  • A copy of the photo and name page of your current passport.
  • An International Student Sponsor Statement completed by your sponsor, if you are not paying your own fees.

Step Two: Acceptance Offer

If you are accepted into a course, you will be sent an Acceptance Contract, which you must complete, sign, and return to the Overseas Student Officer at the University of Divinity. The University will then send you a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). Candidates will be accepted initially for one year and continuation of candidature will be granted only on the successful completion of the first year of study.

Step Three: Visa Application

You must use your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from University of Divinity to apply for a student visa. Alternatively, you can click here to arrange for a student visa online from the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

Click here to go to the Department’s web page, which gives guidelines as to the length of time it takes to process student visa applications.

Regulations for Overseas Candidates:

Stirling College welcomes overseas candidates, but also recognises the potential difficulties candidates can face coming to Australia. The College’s programs are approved for the purposes of the issuing of student visas and the Registrar can advise and assist in this process.

Applicants for research masters degrees will need to pass the requirements for Qualifying Examination before leaving their home country. The College will expect to be satisfied that financial requirements can be met, that an approved person in Melbourne has indicated his or her willingness to act as your interim adviser, and that a church or similar body is willing to accept you here and offer personal support.

N.B. When applying, please allow a few months for administrative processes. Please note the following:

The Australian Federal Government has advised all higher education providers that students entering Australia on student visas must have their study and results monitored constantly. This applies to Stirling’s policy on attendance at lectures and students must pass all the exams undertaken. Failure to comply with these requirements will result in the visa being cancelled and the students returning to their home country. Students are required to complete their chosen degree in the time allocated. No extension to the time period on the visa is possible.

Fees and costs:

The annual cost of full-time tuition at Stirling can be found here. Overseas students who are enrolling for the first time and require a student visa will be charged an administrative fee of $300.00. These fees are subject to annual review.

Health Cover (compulsory):

Conditions of your visa will require you pay overseas student health cover for your entire course. Here are some indicative costs of health cover for overseas students.

Period of authorised stay in Australia Single Family (2 adults)
6 months $294.00 $1101.00
12 months $553.00 $1906.00

These are indicative figures only.  The amounts mentioned above include GST and are in Australian dollars.

For an immediate quote try going to the overseas student page on the web sites of the following insurers:

Click here for a list of providers and answers to some frequently asked questions about overseas student health cover.

There are scholarships available to international students to study in Australia. Click here for more information. Note particularly the AusAid Awards and the Endeavour Scholarships.

Working while studying:

 Students and their dependent family members who were granted a student visa on or after 26 April 2008 have permission to work.

Students and their dependent family members with permission to work must not undertake work until the main student visa holder has started their course in Australia. They are limited to 40 hours work per fortnight while their course is in session, but may work unlimited hours during formal holiday periods. Holders of a Postgraduate Research (subclass 574) visa who have started their course have unrestricted permission to work.

Student visa holders found to be working in excess of their limited work rights are subject to mandatory visa cancellation.

Click here for a helpful fact sheet.

Compulsory government education expenses for children:

The Australian Government requires all non-Australian citizen children to pay for their education. In 2015 the annual fee per year for a dependent student (arriving under their parent’s student visa) was:

  • Primary (Prep to Year 6) (ages 4-11 years) $8,569.00
  • Junior Secondary (Year 7-10) (11-15 years) $11,316.00
  • Senior Secondary (Years 11 & 12) (15-18 years) $12,710.00

These figures are per student per year.

More information and up to date costs of secondary school in Australia can be found at the following links:

Victorian Government Schools Fees or Applying to Study in Victoria