In common with other colleges of the University of Divinity, results are published according to the following grading system:
- HD = High Distinction = 85%+
- D = Distinction = 75-84%
- C = Credit = 65-74%
- P = Pass = 50-64%
- F = Fail = 0-49%
- PP = Pass where marked on Pass/Fail basis only
- WD = Withdrawn
- E = Extension [only two ‘E’ results will normally be allowed for the duration of a 3 year course]
Fail (F): less than 50%
The essay does not meet the requirements for a PASS grade in several ways:
- It does not answer the question.
- Its content is insufficient, brief and superficial in treatment.
- There are serious factual errors that undermine the argument.
- There is a serious lack of understanding of the issues and concepts involved in the question.
- There is a lack of clarity of expression in choice of words, sentence and paragraph structure, spelling or grammar to such a degree that the essay is incomprehensible.
- It inadequately conforms to the requirements for essay style and form.
- Referencing and bibliography are either insufficient or absent.
Pass (P): 50 – 64%
The essay covers a reasonable number of relevant points raised in the question:
- It follows all instructions given with the essay question.
- It makes intelligent use of basic scholarship to sustain an argued case.
- It is clearly expressed in an organised form.
- Spelling and punctuation are accurate.
- It conforms to the style conventions prescribed, i.e., there is adequate footnoting/referencing and bibliography, and an acceptable layout.
Credit (C): 65 – 74%
- The essay meets the criteria for a PASS grade:
- It shows some originality and/or independence of organisation and judgement.
- There is critical handling of scholarship, especially beyond the basic specified range.
- There is use of evidence beyond the basic specified range.
- The argument is well structured and clearly expressed, with some complexity of writing style.
- Referencing/footnotes and bibliography conform to the correct style.
Distinction (D): 75 – 84%
The essay meets the criteria for a CREDIT grade.
- It shows some originality or independence of thought.
- There is a high degree of precision and rigour in the argument.
- It demonstrates an ability to critique existing scholarship.
- There is evidence of extensive reading and deployment of appropriate evidence.
- It is very well written with clarity of style.
High Distinction (HD): 85%+
- The essay meets the criteria for a DISTINCTION grade.
- It shows a marked degree of both originality and independence of thought.
- There is a thorough critique of existing scholarship.
- There is evidence of exceptional breadth of reading and a sophisticated use of appropriate evidence.
- There is a marked degree of methodological rigour and sophistication.
- The essay is exceptionally well written.