Leading People and Teams
Also offered as DA9718S
Effective leadership requires healthy formation and conceptual frameworks. This unit examines the core areas for healthy leadership of people and teams and organisations, including: leadership theory, behaviour, decision-making, mentoring, accountability, giftedness, strategy, governance, systems, conflict and change.
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Articulate and critique the various theories of leadership.
- From this critique, identify their preferred models and reflect critically to develop a rationale for this choice.
- Articulate the contribution of one aspect of leadership and illustrate from practice.
- Describe and illustrate contextually their preferred personal and organisational leadership values.
- Use theological reflection to develop a personal theology of leadership.
Pre-requisites: At least two years leadership experience.
Faculty: Andrew Menzies
Book Review (1500 words) 25%
Aspect of leadership review (1500 words) 25%
Essay (3000 words) 50%
* = set texts recommended for purchase
Alinsky, S.D. Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals. New York: Vintage Books, 1971).
Adair, J.E. Leadership for Innovation: How to Organise Team Creativity and Harvest Ideas. Philadelphia: Kogan Page, 2007.
Allender, D.B. Leading with a Limp: Turning Your Struggles into Strengths. Colorado Springs: Waterbrook Press, 2006.
Barna, G. The Power of Team Leadership: Achieving Success Through Shared Responsibility. Colorado Springs: WaterBrook Press, 2001.
Clinton, J.R. The Making of a Leader: Recognizing the Stages and Lessons of Leadership Development. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 2012.
Greenleaf, R.K. Servant Leadership: A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness. Mahwah: Paulist Press, 2002.
Hesselbein, F. The Leader of the Future 2: Visions, Strategies and Practices for the New Era. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2006.
Johnson, L.T. Scripture and Discernment: Decision-Making in the Church. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1999.
McNeal, R. Practicing Greatness: 7 Disciplines of Extraordinary Spiritual Leaders. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2006.
Roxburgh, A.J., & F. Romanuk. The Missional Leader: Equipping Your Church to Reach a Changing World. New York: Jossey Bass, 2006.