Early Church and modern quests for an ancient faith
also taught online as CH1/8701S
Foundational unit for postgraduates
Content: This unit uses text, art and artefact to explore developments in theology and Christian practice in early church communities, to 500 CE. It then explores through text, film and liturgical practice how ancient Christianity is reflected in selected modern interpretations and practices. Themes include: unity and diversity of belief and practice; church identity in early and modern periods; the relationship between body and soul; the tension between charismatic and institutional forms of ministry and authority; the Trinitarian and Christological debates; issues of historical religious primitivism.
Learning outcomes: Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Identify significant dates, people and themes in the Early Church’s theology and practice
- Apply key principles of historical interpretation to a diverse range of primary sources
- Demonstrate an understanding of how an aspect of theology or practice developed over time within the Early Church
- Describe how selected modern church interpretations and practices (incl. Restorationist, Fundamentalist, Pentecostal and Primitivist) reflect and understand a relationship to aspects of early church
- (postgraduates) Assess the impact of the interpretation of an aspect of the Early Church’s theology or practice within a modern church’s identity, worldview and tradition
Faculty: Kerrie Handasyde
Offered: in second semester 2018 (face to face and online)
Source Analysis of 1000 words 25%
Essay of 2000 words 50%
Book/Film Review of 1000 words 25%
Source Analysis of 1500 words 25%
Essay of 3000 words 50%
Book/Film Review of 1500 words 25%
Burrus, V. ed. Late Ancient Christianity: A People’s History of Christianity Vol. 2. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 2005.
Davis, J. The Landscape of Belief (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1996).
Chadwick, H. The Early Church. London: Penguin, 1993.
* Guy, L.D. Introducing Early Christianity: A Topical Survey of its Life, Belief and Practices. Downers Grove IL: IVP, 2004.
Hughes, Richard T., ed. The Primitive Church in the Modern World. Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 1995.
Humphries, M. Early Christianity. London: Routledge, 2006.
Jensen, R.M. Understanding Early Christian Art. New York: Routledge, 2000.
Lossl, J. The Early Church: History and Memory. London: T&T Clark, 2010.
Miles, M. The Word Made Flesh: A History of Christian Thought. Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2004.
Pelikan,J. Jesus Through The Centuries: His Place in the History of Culture. New Haven and London, Yale University Press, 1999.
Shelley, Bruce L. Church History in Plain Language. Waco: Word, 1995.
Van Liere, Katherine, Simon Ditchfield and Howard Louthan, eds. Sacred History: Uses of the Christian Past in the Renaissance World (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012).
Williams R. (ed.). The Making of Orthodoxy. London: CUP 1989.
Young, F. The Making of the Creeds. London: SCM Press, 2002.